Appin Coal Mine in NSW, conducted a study to measure if Mindfulness improved safety. It did, here is a summary of the findings.
Appin Coal Mine: 49 employees participated in this 6 month study. Employees included Management, Superintendants, Supervisors and Operators. Thirty employees were part of the Mindfulness group who participated in workshops and coaching, while the control group of 19 did not participate. The results were:
- A 16.4 Safety Culture Index improvement with Mindfulness group relative to the control group. The Mindfulness group increased their SCI by 5.1 whilst the control group decreased by 11.5.
- Improved safety resilience against incident causing factors with a 2.93 times reduction in incident frequency rate relative to the control group.
- All key cultural drivers were improved in the Mindfulness group whilst the control group decreased in all areas.
- Mindfulness group increased in leadership/ workforce alignment relative to the control group, which exhibited degradation in leadership/ worker alignment.
- Mindfulness group has a significant improvement in the key safety drivers relative to the control group.
Mindfulness is a key construct in C-I-T programs and The Prosperous Mind. If you would like to know more about this report or how you can include Mindfulness as part of your safety culture, drop me a note at email@example.com
Like to learn and try Mindfulness today for free!?? Check out these Links: